20 February 2007

Poetical Disputes

all this argy-bargy over words--
it's too much, really--the
shaft-spears thrown across
list-servs at mild-mannered academics,
blue eyes floating in the milky puss
above his fine-knit sweater
as he protests--
no, that is not what I meant,
atall, atall
in an attempt to pacify the
lion man with his
sharp-toothed replies, his
glassy eyes bright after
their firing, white-hot liquid,
boiled sandgrains to these
cracks and chips of color
wreathed around the inky pupil,
a deep well, a black hole

the stars still pock the sky,
the sun still burns over the desert

2 comments:

CoralPoetry said...

Hello, Maryann

This is beautiful, evocative poetry - such a rare find in the poetry blogosphere.

I love the way you say "atall,atall", but I think you need another "atall" to fill the line and to emphasize your thoughts by repetition.

I have bookmarked your site, which I found via Bloggernity.

Regards,
Coral

McCarra—Poetry said...

Many thanks, Coral, for your comment; I really appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion/feedback with me!

I'm going to have to check out your site now!

With regards,

MaryAnn